The Air Jordan 1 Retro High ‘Banned’ 2011 gives the nod to the infamous colorway that was supposedly banned by the NBA in 1985 for violating the league’s uniform code. The shoe features the same black and Varsity Red blocking as the OG model, but various callouts appear throughout the look. A tonal ‘X’ is embossed on the heel, while the inner lining includes the date of the ban and ‘Banned’ appears on the insole.
The controversy surrounding the banned sneakers
Firstly, the NBA commissioner, David Stern, banned these sneakers due to its bold black and red colorway, which violated league regulations. This ban caused a massive demand for the sneaker, making them even more desirable among fans and collectors.
It is believed that every time Michael Jordan wore these banned sneakers during games, he got fined $5,000! This only added to their allure and rebellious appeal. The banning highlighted a clash between artistic expression and traditional sports regulations. It became a symbol of individuality and defiance.
The ban also inadvertently caused the Air Jordan brand to go into pop culture, making it a cultural icon. In addition, the ban’s backlash brought attention to sneaker design, marketing strategies, and endorsement deals. Moreover, Nike capitalized on the ban by creating an ad campaign portraying Michael Jordan as a renegade athlete. This genius move increased sales and boosted Michael Jordan’s image.
Design and features
In terms of design and features, the Air Jordan 1s can be summarized as follows:
- Unique color scheme: The shoe features a striking combination of black and red, which adds a bold and visually appealing element.
- Premium materials: Crafted with high-quality leather, the sneaker ensures durability and long-lasting comfort.
- Iconic branding: The Nike swoosh logo is prominently displayed on both sides of the shoe, emphasizing its association with the renowned athletic brand. Additionally, the wing logo on the ankle collar showcases the shoe’s Jordan lineage.
- High-top silhouette: The Air Jordan 1s incorporate a high-top design, providing support and stability for the wearer.
- Versatile style: While originally intended for basketball, the sneakers have become a fashion statement, suitable for both sports and everyday wear.
Colorway and materials used
The Air Jordan 1: where Nike Air branding and the iconic wings logo unite! It offers a bold statement with its black and red colorway. Crafted with meticulous detail, this sneaker showcases materials that guarantee longevity and luxury.The Genuine leather upper provides a luxurious feel and the nylon tongue enhances breathability. The durable rubber outsole offers optimal traction while the Nike swoosh branding adds an unmistakable visual appeal.
In 1985, Michael Jordan famously wore these banned shoes, despite being fined by the NBA. Nike capitalized on this with a marketing campaign which propelled the popularity of Michael Jordan and the Air Jordan brand. More Link to : Southwest